Google’s Chromecast device can be used to project media from laptop and desktop computers to the TV. Below are the steps to use Chromecast on laptop or desktop computer.
Use Chromecast on a laptop or desktop computer
Before you can use Chromecast on a laptop or desktop computer, you need to connect the Chromecast device to the TV and set up the Chromecast device.
Previously, it was possible to complete the setup process by downloading the Chromecast app on desktop and laptop computers.
However, the Chromecast app is no longer supported by Google, and the only way to complete the setup process for a Chromecast device is to use the Google Home app on a mobile device (phone or tablet).
Once the initial setup process is complete, the mobile device and the Home app are no longer required to use Chromecast on your laptop or desktop computer.
So let’s go ahead and take a look at the steps on how to use Chromecast on laptop and desktop computers.
1. Connect the Chromecast device to the TV
As mentioned above, the first step is to connect the Chromecast device to your home TV.
1. Plug them in HDMI end from Google Chromecast device into the HDMI connection of your home TV and plug it in USB end from Chromecast to USB power adapter (See image below).
2. Next, use the remote control your home TV to change it source input of your TV to match HDMI connection (HDMI 1, HDMI2….) to which the Chromecast device is connected.
Note: Most remote controls allow you to change the input source by pressing Entry or source Button.
Press the appropriate button on the remote control and ensure that the TV display switches to the selected HDMI port.
This completes the process of connecting the Chromecast device to your TV. The next step is to set up the Chromecast device to use your WiFi network.
2. Set up Chromecast using the Google Home app
After you have connected the Chromecast to the TV, the next step is to set up the Chromecast device using the Google Home app on any mobile device (phone or tablet).
1. Download Google Home app on your Android phone Google play store or in the case of iPhone from the App Store.
2. Once the Home app is downloaded, open the home app and tap Accept agree to terms and conditions.
3. On the home screen, tap Set up 1 device Possibility.
4. Select on the next screen home and tap Next.
5. Wait for the Google Home app to find your Chromecast device and tap Yes keep going.
6. You should now see a code on the screen of your television and a code on your phone screen. Tap on Yes if you can see the code on the TV screen.
7. On the next screen, you can tap either Yes, I am in or No thank you to go to the next step.
8th. Next select a location for your Chromecast device and tap Next.
9. On the next screen, select yours WiFi network and tap Next.
10 Finally, enter your WiFi network password to complete the setup process of your Chromecast device.
3. Download and install Google Chrome
The Chromecast device works best with Google’s Chrome browser. So, follow the steps below to download and install Chrome browser on your laptop or desktop computer.
1. Open the preset Edge browser on your laptop or desktop computer.
2. Go to Google Chrome site and download the latest version of Google Chrome browser on your computer.
3. Choose the location for ChromeSetup.exe file on your computer and click Save on computer.
4. Double click on the downloaded one ChromeSetup.exe File.
5. Wait for the Google Chrome browser to be installed on your computer.
4. How to use Chromecast on a laptop
Once the Chromecast device is set up, it can be used to cast YouTube videos, Netflix movies, and other media from your laptop or desktop computer to the TV.
1. open that chrome Browser on your laptop or desktop computer.
2. Click on 3 point menu icon and select it Pour option in the drop down menu.
3. Play any YouTube Video or Netflix Movie on your computer and you will see it projected on the big screen of your home TV.
Alternately: First, you can play the video or movie on your computer and click cast icon located in the top right corner of your computer
You will immediately see the video/movie on the big screen of your TV.