Learn how to turn off or disable the camera on Mac if you don’t use the FaceTime camera on your MacBook or want to disable the camera on Mac for security reasons.
Disable the camera on Mac
The MacBook’s built-in camera cannot be physically separated because it uses the same bus that connects the MacBook’s screen to the motherboard.
Turning off or physically disconnecting the camera from the MacBook turns off both the camera and the MacBook screen.
Therefore, the only way to physically disable the camera on Mac is to cover the camera with a sticker, tape, or by using camera covers like those available on Amazon.
If you are looking for a software-based solution, you can use any of the methods given below to disable iSight or the built-in camera on your Mac.
1. Prevent apps from using the camera on Mac
If you have reason to believe that the camera on your MacBook is being used surreptitiously, you can prevent apps from using the camera on your Mac.
1. Click on that Apple logo in the top menu bar and click system settings in the drop down menu.
2. On the System Settings screen, click the security Tab.
3. On the Security & Privacy screen, click camera in the left pane. In the right pane, uncheck the option applications Have access to the camera on your Mac.
After that, your Mac will automatically prevent the apps that are not activated from accessing the built-in iSight camera.
2. Prevent websites from accessing the camera on Mac
Depending on your Safari settings, the websites you visit may be allowed access to the camera on your MacBook.
Therefore, follow the steps below to disable camera access on all websites.
1. open that safari Browsers on your Mac.
2. Then click on the safari Tab in the top menu bar and select Settings… in the drop down menu.
3. On the next screen, click the Web pages tab > click camera in the left pane and select one of the two Questions or Deny Option for websites listed under “Allow websites to access the camera”.
Choose too Deny or Questions Option for “When visiting other websites” option.
Selecting the Deny option will prevent websites from accessing the camera on your Mac, while selecting the Ask option will result in the websites prompting you to either allow or deny access to the camera.
3. Disable the camera on Mac using Parental Controls
The parental controls feature on Mac offers an easy way to turn off the camera on your Mac.
This feature allows you to turn off the camera for all user accounts on your Mac while allowing the camera to function normally for other user accounts.
1. Open system settings on your Mac > click child lock.
2. On the next screen, click Activate the child lock Button.
Note: You may need to click the lock icon and enter yours Administrator password to access this setting.
3. On the Parental Controls screen, select the user account in the left pane. In the right pane, click the applications Tab and disable Allow use of the camera Possibility.
This prevents all apps on your Mac from using the built-in camera on the Mac and also the plugin webcam (if you have one).
Why Some Users Disable Camera on Mac
The MacBook’s built-in camera is commonly referred to as the FaceTime camera while officially known as the iSight camera.
The camera on MacBook can be used to make FaceTime calls to family/friends and also conduct online business meetings via Skype.
However, some users want to disable the camera on Mac to prevent malware from hijacking MacBook’s video capability to secretly record video sessions.
OSX/FruitFly, OSX/Crisis, OSX/Mokes are some of the popular Mac malware programs that are known to spy on unsuspecting Mac users.
Note: If you are concerned about your privacy, it is not a good idea to use third-party apps to block webcam on your Mac.