When using public WiFi networks, it is generally recommended to use a VPN service to protect your privacy. Below are the steps to set up and use VPN on an Android phone or tablet.
Use VPN on Android Phone or Tablet
The easiest way to set up and use VPN on an Android phone or tablet is to download free or paid VPN apps available on the Google Play Store.
To set up VPN on your Android device using these apps, all you have to do is download the app and follow the on-screen instructions.
However, if your VPN service doesn’t provide an app and you’re interested in having more control over the VPN network, you’ll have to opt for a manual VPN setup.
Below are the steps to set up VPN on an Android phone manually as well as steps to set up VPN using VPN apps.
1. Set up VPN with Turbo VPN app
One of the best free VPN apps you can find on the Google Play Store is Turbo VPN, which offers unlimited free VPN service.
Although the Turbo VPN app only covers a limited number of countries, it covers the most popular countries that most users would be interested in.
1. Open Google play store on your Android phone and download it Turbo VPN app.
2. Once the app is downloaded, open the app and tap world icon is in the upper right corner.
3. On the next screen, select the country in which you want to use Turbo VPN.
4. Wait for the app to connect to your selected country’s VPN network. If you get an error, select the country again.
Once you are connected to the VPN network, you are all set up and ready to use the VPN service on your Android phone.
2. Set up VPN on Android phone using TunnelBear app
TunnelBear VPN is another popular VPN app on the Google Play Store.
TunnelBear offers a much wider range of countries and allows you to try the app for free before deciding to buy the app.
1. Open Google play store and download TunnelBear VPN app on your Android phone.
2. Once the app is downloaded, open the apartment > Enter yours Email-address, password and tap Create a free account Button.
3. The next step is to verify your email address by logging into your Email account and recognition of E-mail obtained from TunnelBear.
4. After verifying your email address, open tunnel bear app and tap the Continue Button.
5. On the next screen, grant TunnelBear permission to set up a VPN connection on your phone by toggling the switch to ON Position.
6. On the confirmation pop-up, tap OK.
7. Once you tap OK, the TunnelBear app will connect to their VPN network in the United States. You can change the location by tapping up arrow and select your desired country from the list.
TunnelBear VPN free trial offers 500MB, after that you can extend the free trial by 1GB by tweeting about TunnelBear, inviting a friend to TunnelBear or installing TunnelBear on your computer.
If you like the service, you can opt for paid plans that start at an affordable $5 per month.
3. Set up VPN on Android phone manually
If you don’t want to install any VPN apps, you can follow the steps below to set up VPN on your Android phone or tablet manually.
1. Open settings on your Android phone > tap More connection settings.
2. On the Connection Settings screen, tap VPN.
3. On the next screen, tap + button (or Add VPN).
4. In the pop-up window, type any Surname Select for your VPN network VPN type and enter the IP address of your VPN in the Server Address field and tap Save on computer.
You can then surf the Internet via a VPN connection. You must provide your username and password to connect to your VPN network.