While you can always download ringtones from iTunes and other sources, why not explore the possibility of using your favorite songs as custom ringtones on iPhone? Below are the steps to set any song as a ringtone on iPhone.
Set song as ringtone on iPhone
The process of converting any song as ringtone or text tone on iPhone basically involves the following main steps.
- Download the Song to Files app on iPhone.
- Download and install GarageBand app on iPhone.
- Import songs from the Files app into GarageBand.
- Select a 30 second clip from the song.
- Export song clip to ringtones
While the process of setting a song as a ringtone on iPhone might seem a little tedious or difficult, it actually becomes easy once you get used to the steps outlined below.
Step 1. Download the Song to Files app
The first step is to download the song you want to use as a ringtone into the Files app on iPhone. You can download the song from Apple Music or any other source where your favorite song is available.
Step 2. Download and install GarageBand
The GarageBand app should already be available on your iPhone. If not, you can download this free music maker software from App Store.
open that app store on your iPhone > Search and Download garage band on your iPhone. After the download completes, tap Open to install GarageBand on your iPhone.
Step 3. Import the song to GarageBand from Files app
The third step is to import your favorite or desired song into GarageBand for editing.
1. Open garage band > switch to Sense tab and select Any instrument you like (e.g. Smart Piano).
Note: It doesn’t matter which instrument you select, the rest of the steps are the same for all instruments.
2. On the next screen, select the project icon located in the icon groups in the upper left corner.
3. Next select the loop icon that appears in the top right corner.
4. Switch to on the next screen Files tab and select Browse items from the Files app Shortcut.
5. In the Files app, select the search option and navigate to Imported song you want to use as a ringtone.
Once you find the song, tap song and it will be imported into GarageBand.
6. On the next screen, drag the Imported file (Bottom & Left) and drop it after the first track.
As you can see in the image below, the imported one is song clip was placed below the first track.
Note: The first track is always reserved for the instrument in the audio editing interface.
Step 4. Select the 30 second clip from the imported song
Custom ringtones on iPhone can only be 30 seconds long. Therefore, the next step is to use GarageBand to extract a 30-second clip from the downloaded song.
1. Hold down the Imported track and pull the handle to the desired starting point in the song.
2. Double-tap the track and select it Splits Possibility. This places a small scissors icon at the selected start point of the song.
3. Drag the tiny one scissors icon down to split the song at the preselected starting point.
4. Similar, Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 to select an end point of the song and split the song at the end point.
5.Choose Starting the unwanted part of the song and tap Extinguish option in the displayed menu.
6. Similarly, select the end of the unwanted part of the song and tap Extinguish Possibility.
This leaves only the remaining 30 second clip of the song that you can use as a ringtone. You can listen to this clip by tapping the play button on the top menu bar.
Step 5. Export song clip to ringtones
The final step is to export the GarageBand 30-second song clip to the Ringtones folder on your iPhone.
1. Tap the down arrow icon in the upper left corner and select My songs in the drop-down list.
2. On the next screen, long press clip and select that Split option in the context menu.
Note: You may need to scroll down the context menu to see the Share option.
3. On the Share Song screen, select the ringtone Tab.
4. On the next screen, type a Surname for the ringtone and tap export Option is in the top right corner.
5. Once the export process is successfully completed, tap Use clay as… Possibility.
6. On the next screen, select the Default ringtone option and this will set the song clip as custom ringtone on iPhone.
As you can see in the image above, you can also use the song as a custom text tone, assign the song to a contact, or tap Done to add the custom ringtone to the list of other ringtones on your iPhone.