If you have a backup of WhatsApp on SD card, below are the steps to restore WhatsApp from SD card to new or existing Android phone.
Backup WhatsApp from SD card
WhatsApp supports backup to Google Drive, iCloud, local storage on the phone and also SD cards.
While the default setting on Android devices is to backup WhatsApp to Google Drive, some users prefer to backup WhatsApp to an SD card which is on their Android phone.
Before proceeding with the steps to restore WhatsApp from SD card, make sure you have a recent backup of WhatsApp on SD card.
In fact, it is better to create a recent manual backup of WhatsApp on SD card before proceeding with the recovery process.
This will ensure that all your latest WhatsApp messages, photos and videos are recovered.
1. Backup WhatsApp to SD card manually
Follow the steps below to prepare the latest backup of WhatsApp to SD card.
1. Open Whatsapp > tap 3 point menu icon and select settings in the drop down menu.
2. Next, navigate to chat > Chat backup > and tap Backup to Google Drive Possibility.
3. Select in the pop-up window that appears Never Option to disable WhatsApp backup on Google Drive.
4. After disabling WhatsApp backups to Google Drive, go back to Chat backup screen and tap To back up Button.
5. Wait until all your WhatsApp messages, photos and videos are backed up to your Android phone SD card.
2. Restore WhatsApp from SD card to new phone
After creating a backup to SD card, you can follow the steps below to restore WhatsApp from SD card to new phone or existing Android phone.
1. Transfer the SD card with WhatsApp backup from old to new device.
2. Download Whatsapp from the Google Play Store on your Android phone.
3. After WhatsApp download is complete, tap Open.
5. Select on the next screen countryEnter phone number and tap Next.
6. On the next popup, tap OK so WhatsApp can verify your phone number.
7. Once the phone number is verified, WhatsApp will automatically check for backups and let you know. Tap on Restore to recover all your WhatsApp messages.
8th. Wait for the restore process to complete and tap Next when you see the tick.
9. On the next screen, enter yours profile name and tap Next to complete the restore process.
With the above steps, you have successfully completed the process of restoring WhatsApp from SD card backup.
3. Restore WhatsApp from SD card to the same phone
If you want to restore WhatsApp to the same phone, you need to delete WhatsApp from your Android phone first and install it again from Google Play Store.
1. Open settings on your Android phone > go to applications (or apps) > application manager (on Samsung devices) > scroll down and tap Whatsapp.
2. On the next screen, tap Uninstall to delete whatsapp from your android phone.
3. After uninstalling WhatsApp, open Google play store and download Whatsapp back to your device.
4. After WhatsApp has downloaded, tap Open.
5. Next, follow the instructions to accept the WhatsApp Terms of Service and confirm yours phone number.
6. Once your phone number is verified, WhatsApp will notify you of the available backup on your device. Tap on Restore to restore WhatsApp from SD card backup.
7. Wait for the restore process to complete and follow the next set of instructions to complete this process.
WhatsApp cannot be restored from SD card
If you are unable to restore WhatsApp from SD card, you may need to rename WhatsApp backup file and repeat the above steps again.
1. Download and install a file manager App from the Google Play Store on your Android Phone (if not already available on your device).
2. Switch to using the file manager utility my files > SD card > Whatsapp > databases folder.
3. In the database folder you should see the WhatsApp backup file named “msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12” > rename this file to “msgstore.db.crypt12“.
Note: Fuse extension may vary (Krypt 10, Krypt 11, etc.). Just remove the date and don’t change the crypt extension number.
4. After renaming the file, follow the steps given above to uninstall WhatsApp, reinstall WhatsApp from Google Play Store and recover WhatsApp from SD card.