In case you find that contacts are missing from your Android phone or you accidentally deleted contacts on your phone, you can follow the steps given below to recover deleted contacts on your Android phone.
Recover deleted contacts on Android phone
If you delete contacts on your Android phone, they will be removed from your device immediately. However, these deleted contacts will still remain on Google’s servers for 30 days before they are permanently deleted.
Therefore, the right place to search for missing or deleted contacts is not your Android phone, but you should go to your Windows computer or Mac to search Google’s servers for deleted contacts.
All you have to do is log in to your Gmail account linked to your Android phone and use the useful feature in Gmail that allows you to recover deleted contacts.
Make sure contacts are not hidden on your Android phone
In case you have not deleted any contacts and still find contacts are missing from your Android phone, there is a good chance that the option to show all contacts is not enabled on your Android phone.
Follow the steps below to ensure that the option to view all contacts is active and enabled on your Android phone.
1. open that contacts App on your Android phone.
2. Next, tap the More option in the upper-right corner of your screen, then tap settings in the drop down menu.
3. On the Contact settings screen, tap Contacts to display option (see image below).
4. On the next screen, select the option to display All Contacts (See image below).
This will ensure that any contacts you have added to your Android phone will appear on the contacts screen. In case you still cannot find some of the contacts on your Android phone, they are probably deleted and you can try to recover them with the next method.
Recover deleted contacts on Android phone with Gmail
Unless you have changed the settings, most Android phones are set to automatically sync contacts with the Google account associated with the Android phone. This practically means that any contacts and phone numbers you add on your Android phone should be available in your Gmail account.
Follow the steps below to recover deleted contacts from your Gmail account.
1. Sign in to your with your Windows computer or Mac Google user account.
2. Once you’ve logged into your account, click on that gmail button located in the top left corner of your screen and then click contacts in the drop down menu (see image below).
3. On the Contacts screen, you can see all the contacts from your Android phone that Google has linked to your Gmail account.
4. After confirming that the deleted contacts are indeed available on the Contacts screen, click More button and then click restore contacts option in the drop down menu.
5. Next, you will see a pop-up window that will give you different time periods to restore your contact list. Choose a time from the options offered and then click on the Restore Button.
6. After the deleted contacts are restored, you will see a confirmation from Google that all your contacts have been restored.
Note: Don’t close your Gmail account as you may have to go back if the contacts don’t sync properly to your Android phone in the next step.
After recovering deleted contacts in your Gmail account, the next step is to sync these contacts to your Android phone by following the steps below.
1. open that settings App on your iPhone.
2. On the Settings screen, scroll down and tap accounts (or other accounts) in the Personal section (see image below).
3. On the Accounts screen, tap Google.
4. On the next screen, tap More option in the top right corner of your screen.
5. Then tap Sync all Option that appears when you tap More.
All your contacts from Gmail will now appear on your Android phone. Take a close look at the contact list to make sure deleted contacts are back on your Android phone.
- How to remove duplicate contacts on Android phone