Sometimes the touch screen on a Windows computer stops responding without causing any physical damage. Below are the steps to fix the touch screen not working issue in Windows 10.
Touchscreen not working on Windows 10
If the touchscreen on your computer suddenly stops working, take a good look at your computer’s screen and make sure it hasn’t been physically abused or damaged.
Next, try using the keyboard, mouse, or trackpad to make sure your computer is working. If the keyboard or mouse isn’t responding, your computer might be stuck.
The next step is to shut down the computer by pressing power buttonwait about 60 seconds and restart the computer.
When the computer restarts, the touchscreen may return to its normal operating state.
However, if the touch screen is still not working, use the mouse and keyboard to follow the methods given below to fix the touch screen not working issue in Windows 10.
1. Disable/Enable Human Interface Devices
Disabling and enabling the touchscreen driver is known to fix the issue.
1. Right click on the beginning click and click device manager.
2. On the Device Manager screen, expand Human user interfaces Entry > right click on HID compliant touch screen and click disable device.
Note: If you find multiple HID-compatible touchscreen entries, repeat the step above and disable them all.
3. Reboot your computer.
4. After the computer restarts, go to device manager > expand Human user interfaces > Right click on HID compliant touch screen and click Activate device Possibility.
Note: Repeat the above step for all HID compatible touchscreen entries (if any).
5. Reboot your computer for the changes to be made.
After the computer restarts, check if the touchscreen works now.
2. Check for updates
If the above method didn’t help, your computer might not have the latest software updates.
1. Go to settings > updates and security > click windows update in the left pane. In the right pane, click Check for updates Button.
2. Download and Install updates (if available).
3. Configure touch screen
Follow the steps below to configure your Windows laptop screen as a touchscreen.
1. Open Calibrate the screen for pen and touch input option on your computer.
2. In the pop-up that appears, click the advertisement tab and click configuration.
3. Click on the next popup touch input Possibility.
4. Follow the instructions on the screen prompts to identify your computer’s screen as a touchscreen
After completing these steps, check if the touchscreen is now working on your computer.
4. Adjust the power management settings for the touch screen
The problem that the touch screen is not working on your computer may be related to your computer’s energy saving settings.
1. Open device manager on your computer.
2. On the Device Manager screen, expand Human user interfaces Entry > right click on HID compliant touch screen and click Characteristics.
3. On the next screen, click the power management Tab and disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power Possibility.
4. Click on OK to save this setting on your computer.
Restart your computer and see if the touchscreen works now.
6. Reset your computer
If the above methods didn’t help, you can follow the steps in this Windows 10 reset guide: How to reset Windows 10.
7. Run the system restore
If you have created a system restore point on your computer, you can try to restore your computer using system restore.