One feature that’s been on Android users’ wish lists for a long time is the ability to customize the status bar. Below are the steps to customize the status bar on an Android phone or tablet.
Customize the status bar on an Android phone or tablet
If you’re running Android 6.0 on your Android phone or tablet, you can customize the status bar using the UI Tuner in the Settings app on your Android device.
Even if you’re not using Android 6.0, you can use an app called Material Status Bar to customize the status bar on your Android phone or tablet.
The Material Status Bar app allows you many customizations, including the ability to change the color of the status bar for individual apps.
1. Customize the status bar on Android 6.0 phones
Even if your Android phone is running Android 6.0 or later, the System UI Tuner option, which allows you to customize the status bar, isn’t included in the Settings app by default.
Therefore, follow the steps below to first enable the “System UI Tuner” option in the settings menu and then use this option to customize the status bar on your Android phone or tablet.
1. Open message center on your Android phone or tablet by swiping down from the top of the screen.
2. In the notification center, press and hold the gear-shaped icon settings icon for about 5 seconds
3. The message “System UI Tuner has been added to Settings” should appear at the bottom of the screen.
4. now open settings on your Android phone or tablet
5. Scroll to the bottom of the settings screen and tap System UI Tuner
6. On the next screen, you can use the options below to customize the status bar on your Android phone or tablet.
- Quick Settings: Allows you to remove or rearrange icons that are present in the quick settings menu
- status bar: This is the absolute best option that allows you to remove or rearrange status bar icons!
- Show percentage of embedded battery: Allows you to finally show the battery percentage in the status bar!
2. Customize status bar on Android phone with Material Status Bar app
If your Android device is not running Android 6.0, you can still customize the status bar on your Android phone or tablet using the Material Status Bar app.
1. Download the Material Status Bar Notification app
The first step is to go to the Google Play Store and download the Material Status Bar app on your Android phone or tablet.
1.1. Open Google play store on your Android phone or tablet and search for material status bar
1.2. Download the app that will be the first app from the results list.
1.3. After the app has been downloaded, open the app
2. Set up material status bar app on android phone
After you have downloaded the app, the next step is to set up the app properly.
Note: The app requires you to grant it a lot of permissions, which may make some users uncomfortable. Unfortunately, the app needs all of these permissions to function properly.
2.1. After opening the app, tap Away from the circle (See image below).
2.2. On the next screen you will see a list of services that you need to give the app access to. From this list, tap Accessibility. This will take you directly to the accessibility settings screen.
2.3. On the Accessibility Settings screen, scroll down to the Services section and tap material status bar.
2.4. Spin on the next screen ON material status bar permissions by toggling the switch to the ON position.
2.5. After enabling permissions, you will see a popup, tap Enable or OK
2.6. Now tap on the back buttonuntil you are back in the app
2.7. Once back in the app, tap notifications option (see image below).
2.8. On the next screen, enter App Material Status Bar, Access to your notifications. (See image below).
2.9. Tap on the pop-up OK or To allow to give the material status bar access to notifications.
2.10. Now tap on the back buttonuntil you are back in the material status bar app
2.11. When you’re back in the app, tap To adjust at the bottom of your screen, then tap the toggle next to Activate the status bar module.
If this option is not activated, the status bar does not change.
Now the app has been set up properly and you can customize the status bar on the Android phone.
Change status bar design on Android phone
Material Status Bar app allows you to change status bar theme as well as navigation theme of your android phone or tablet.
Status bar theme options are Lollipop, Gradient, Dark Gradient and Flat. Navigation theme options are Nougat or Android O.
1. Open material status bar App on your Android phone (if it’s not already open)
2. Next, tap the bar theme Tab is located under the On Circle (see image below)
3. On the next screen, tap theme you want to activate on your device.
4. Next, tap the Navi theme tab and select one of the two in the pop-up window nougat or O NAV THEME.
Change status bar color for individual apps on Android phone
As mentioned above, the Material Status Bar app even allows you to change the color of the status bar for each individual app.
1. Open material status bar app and tap the home icon is in the bottom menu. Next, tap app list tab (see image below)
2. On the next screen, tap apartment for which you want to change the color of the status bar and tap on the drop-down menu colour. (See image below)
3. In the popup you can change the color of the status bar for the app by using sliders or typing the html number of your preferred color.
4. After choosing the color for the status bar, tap set button to set your chosen color. If you change your mind, you can tap the Remove button.
Customize other aspects of the status bar on Android phone
As mentioned above, the Material Status Bar app lets you customize a whole host of other aspects of the status bar.
1. Open material status bar App on your Android device and tap the To adjust tab (see image below).
2. On the Customize screen, you will see the following customization options.
- Show battery percentage in status bar
- Center the clock (having the clock in the middle of the status bar gives the status bar a neat new look that many people have never seen before)
- Transparent status bar (If you have always despised your status bar because it is always a different color, then the transparent status bar is a perfect choice for you. The status bar takes on the color of the background instead of staying black or another color)
- Change the default color of the status bar
In addition to the Customize tab, the Notification Shade tab also allows you to fully customize the Notification Center.
1. Open the Material Status Bar app and tap notification shadow tab (see image below)
2. On the Notification Shade tab, you can change the following things:
- Change notification theme
- Change the color of the default notification shade
- Change the number of quick settings columns in the notification center
Overall, the Material Status Bar app offers a ton of customization options to completely change the look of the status bar and notification center on your Android phone or tablet.