Computers can fail at any time, resulting in the loss of all your files, photos, videos, and other data. So, it is really important that you know the steps to backup your Windows 10 computer.
Methods to backup Windows 10 computer
While older computers are more likely to have a hard drive failure, even new computers can fail or crash due to hardware and software issues.
Therefore, Windows 10 has its own set of built-in backup tools that you can use to back up your personal, program, and operating system files.
1. Backup and restore: The Windows backup and restore tool can be used to back up your personal files and data to an external storage drive connected to the computer.
Windows Backup and Restore Tool can also be used to create a system image or snapshot of your entire computer including all your personal files, photos, program and operating system files.
2. File History: This backup tool in Windows 10 can be used to automatically backup all main folders of your user account to an external storage drive.
Unlike Backup and Restore, File History does not back up operating system and program files. It can only be used to back up the main folders in your user account.
Warning: According to user reports, both file history and system image backup can go horribly wrong and lead to loss of files and corrupted USB storage drive.
Therefore, below we also offer other safer methods to back up your files on Windows 10 computer.
1. Backup Windows 10 computer with Backup and Restore
The backup and restore tool can be used to create a complete backup of all files and data available on your computer, including operating system and program files.
1. Go to settings > Updates & Security > fuse.
2. In the right pane, click Go to Backup & Restore (Windows 7) Shortcut.
3. On the next screen, click Create a system image Possibility.
4. On the next screen, select the External drive where you want to save the system image backup and click Next.
5. Wait for your computer to finish the process of creating a system image backup.
The time to create a system image backup can vary from 30 minutes to a few hours depending on the amount of data available on your computer.
Once you have a system image backup, it can be used at any time to restore your computer and recover all of your personal files, programs, and operating system files.
2. Back up computer using File History
The File History tool in Windows 10 can be used to back up all your personal files and data on a USB flash drive or external storage drive connected to your computer.
As mentioned above, File History can only back up power user account folders on an external storage drive, program and system files are not backed up.
1. plug USB storage device to your computer.
2. Go to settings > Updates & Security > fuse.
3. In the right pane, click Add a drive > select the External storage drive you want to use for File History backups.
4. Once the backup drive is selected, scroll up and click More options Shortcut.
5. On the next screen, click Secure now to start the backup process of all main folders on your computer to the connected external USB device.
By default, File Storage Backup includes Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, OneDrive, and App Data folders.
However, you can add more folders, exclude folders, and configure automatic file history backups according to your own needs.
3. Back up Windows 10 computer manually
The safest way to back up files in Windows 10 is to organize all your personal files, photos and other data into main user folders (Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc.) and drag these folders to the USB storage.
This manual method is a far better option to backup your data than using risky backup tools like file history and system image.
4. Backup Windows 10 computer to Google Drive
Another safe way to back up files on a Windows 10 computer is to use the Backup and Sync tool available on Google Drive.
1. Download Backup and sync tool off Google Drive.
2. begin Backup and sync tool on your computer by double-clicking on it.
3. Allow the backup and restore tool to prepare your computer for backup to Google Drive.
4. If you have the Google Drive app on your computer, you will be automatically signed in to Backup & Sync. If not, click Getting started Button.
5. On the next screen, log into your Gmail account by typing Gmail username and password and click I have it to go to the next step.
6. On the next screen, click Next to go to the next screen.
Note: If necessary, you can add more folders by clicking on Choose a folder Link and unlink folders by unchecking them.
7. On the next screen, uncheck the box Sync my tray to this computer option and click beginning.
Note: Choose Sync my tray to this computer Option makes Google Drive files available on your computer.