Benzema waives his call, an epilogue after six years in business

Benzema waives his call, an epilogue after six years in business


The “sextape” case is coming to an end, six and a half years after the events: Karim Benzema on Saturday dropped his appeal in the trial against his former teammate Mathieu Valbuena, upholding his one-year sentence conditional imprisonment.

Sentenced in November 2021 to this suspended prison sentence and a 75,000 fine in the first instance by the Versailles Correctional Court for complicity in attempted blackmail, the Real Madrid superstar finally withdrew her appeal, as did the his lawyer, Mr Hugues Vigier, told AFP on Friday night to Saturday, confirming information from the Actu78 website.

The withdrawal order will be notified to the parties on Tuesday by the Versailles Court of Appeal.

Me Vigier had previously assured the daily L’Equipe that “this withdrawal confirms a decision of conviction and apparently guilt”. “It’s a judicial truth. But it’s not the reality,” the new lawyer, who has been with the player since last March, told the sports daily.

The 34-year-old footballer was the only one of the five convicted of attempted blackmail or complicity in his criminal sentence. He was due to stand trial on June 30 and July 1 in the 9th Chamber of the Versailles Court of Appeal, and his former lawyer, Antoine Vey, said Benzema would come and explain himself in person at the new trial.

In its ruling, the Versailles Correctional Court ruled that the footballer had “personally become involved, at the cost of subterfuge and lies, in convincing his teammate to submit to blackmail.”

The striker did not show “any kindness towards Mathieu Valbuena, quite the contrary” and acted “with a certain excitement or even a certain jubilation”, his president had added.

– International career stopped –

This waiver puts an end to one of the most publicized extra-sports cases in recent years. Six and a half years have passed since the events, which took place in the middle of a gathering of the French team at the training center in Clairefontaine (Yvelines) in October 2015, when Benzema chatted with his teammate about a compromising video.

The case will have lasted until the trial in Versailles in the autumn of 2021, in the presence of Valbuena but in the absence of Benzema, retained by his busy schedule at Real Madrid according to his advice.

The repercussions of this case will have stopped the rise of the French international, who remained away from the Blues for more than five years before making a surprise return to the team of Didier Deschamps before the Euro in 2021.

Benzema, who has always claimed innocence in this case, is now one of the undisputed leaders of the tricolor team, which is returning to its title of world champion in November in Qatar.

On several occasions, Benzema had expressed his desire to see this court page turn as soon as possible. Announcing the dates of his trial for “complicity in an attempted blackmail”, the player had reacted on Instagram: “Here we go, let’s go, let the masquerade go out forever.”

The schedule is such that the announcement of this resignation comes just hours after a game of the Blues, lost 2-1 against Denmark in Saint-Denis, with a goal of … Benzema, recent winner of his 5th Champions League and a huge favorite for the Ballon d’Or, the ultimate individual award in football.

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.